Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Its a Mexican Fiesta Kinda Night

So my goal was to post every day and only two days in and I am already slacking. O well. Chalk it up to a life with 3 very needy kids (4 if you count the dog). :)
So yesterday I turned 33!!! To be honest this whole getting older thing is for the birds. I mean, is it really happening?? I still feel 21 most days like I could go out and party the night away and wake up and do it all again. I often times can't believe that I have 3 kids and have been married for 12 years. Time flies but I refuse to let my progressing age get me down. So last night I made something I had been craving for a while and I knew the family would love...chicken enchilada casserole, Mexican rice and beans. It was a hit. The recipe comes from a friend who actually is Mexican so I figure its fairly authentic. Hope you enjoy!


Here is everything you will need for enchiladas:
 First order of business is to boil your chicken. This can be done in advance since it takes 30-35 minutes.
 Once the chicken comes to a boil, I like to add salt.
 While cooking your chicken get the sauce ready which consists of the enchilada sauce, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream and salsa jalapeno. Stir all together and bring to a boil.
 Once chicken is cooked, shred. I like to use two forks to pull apart. Set aside.
 To assemble-use a 9 x 13 baking dish and put enough sauce to cover the bottom.
 Take your corn tortillas and layer on the bottom crossing over each other.
 Next put another layer of sauce to cover the tortillas.
 Next is a layer of cheese.
 Next layer is chicken, then sprinkle green onions and olives.
 Repeat layers ending with the final layer being tortillas, sauce and cheese. I like to sprinkle a little of the onions and olives so you know whats inside and to give a little color.
 Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Here is everything you need for the rice:
 Here is a pic to show how I got everything ready while the chicken was cooking and ready to just put in the rice and casserole.
 Heat up just enough oil to cover the bottom of your skillet over medium heat.
 Toast the rice in the oil for a couple minutes and then add the onions and saute' until brown. 
In a separate pot add water and chicken bouillon and bring to a boil. 
 Once rice and broth are done, add broth to rice along with tomato sauce and cilantro and bell pepper.
 
Cover and cook for approx. 20 minutes. As tempting as it is DO NOT STIR! Once done, remove bell pepper and chunks of cilantro and fluff with fork.
 Yes I know I should make my own beans but a girl has to cut SOME corners. Still tasty.
Here is the finished product. Turned out great with plenty of leftovers which we had for dinner tonight. YUM!


Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Ingredients:


  • 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used 3 large)
  • 1- Large can of Green Enchilada sauce
  • 1- Regular can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
  • 1 cup of sour cream
  • 4 tablespoons Salsa Jalapeno
  • Corn tortillas (18 if you use a 9 x 13 pan)
  • Shredded cheddar cheese ( I used an entire large back and a little more from another bag because I don't skimp on cheese around here if I don't have to.)
  • 1 bundle of green onions/scallions
  • Sliced olives (I used a small can but you can use a larger can if you prefer more)


Instructions:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Place chicken in a large pot of cold water. Once water comes to a boil add salt. Takes about 30-35 minutes. Once done, shred and set aside.

In a sauce pot, boil together enchilada sauce, mushroom soup, salsa jalapeno, and sour cream. Once its boiled its ready for the dish.

In a 9 x 13 baking dish, pour sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. Then place 6 corn tortillas on top overlapping. Like this:

xxx
xxx

On top of tortillas pour more sauce to cover tortillas. Sprinkle a layer of cheddar cheese, half of your chicken, then olives and green onions. Then another layer of 6 tortillas, sauce, cheese, last half of chicken, olives and onions. Top layer is tortillas, sauce and cheese. If you want to sprinkle olives and onions that is optional.

Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 until cheese is melted and bubbling.

Mexican Rice 
Ingredients:


  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (enough to cover the bottom of your pan)
  • 2 cups-Rice (I used 2 cups but you can make less or more depending on how much you need)
  • 1 Brown onion
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 4 cups of water (2 cups of water for every cup of rice)
  • 4 teaspoons chicken bullion (1 teaspoon for every cup of water to make broth)
  • Bell pepper (a couple pieces for flavoring)
  • Cilantro (how much you put in depends on how much flavor you want out of it)


Instructions:

In a saucepan, add water and bullion and bring to a boil. (Note: you can use chicken broth to substitute). For every cup of rice use 2 cups of liquid.



Its always a good thing when your 6 and 2 year old clean their plates. Its a keeper! Bon Appetite! <3K

No comments:

Post a Comment